Monday, June 15, 2020

Hear Out


In 2004, I was Zone President of Zone XI of JCI India. One day, I received a call after 11.30pm from a Jaycee who had major issues with his local chapter President. He went on and on about one incident after the other.  

I realised that he expected me to intervene in what appeared to a personal tussle. However, I had no jurisdiction to involve in his local organisation. I knew he would be extremely upset when I would confess that I could do nothing. He would probably end up quitting the organisation.

When he finished speaking, instead of telling him of my inability, I asked him, ‘what do you expect me to do?’ He immediately replied, ‘Nothing! As the head of our Zone, I wanted you to know about what’s going on!’

He wanted nothing from me other than hearing him out! Nothing more… Nothing less! Maybe nobody else had heard him out. Since I listened fully to what he wanted to tell, his need was satiated. No further action was required from my side.

Hear me out’ means ‘listen to everything I have to say before you say anything.’ It means that the other person is asking to wait until the person has finished the explanation, argument or story before I respond or react.

Most of the time, we do not hear out. We interject to sort out the issue. In case of feedback, we try to defend or justify. We hurry to close the matter as per our perception. We try to solve what may not require a solution. However when we ‘hear out’ we are in the best position! Nothing else may be needed.

When you see an agitated spout
Be persevering to hear them out!

~ Pravin K Sabnis

No comments: