Monday, August 5, 2019

Goodwill


Over the last sixteen years, Monday Muse has missed out only due to lack of internet connectivity. On Mondays, when I found it difficult to write something, I would go to the archives and reinterpret an earlier musing. However, last Monday the gap was due to a void in real life… the passing away of my muse – my mother!

In the aftermath of the death of a dear one, one discovers the departed personality through the stories shared by others. While many accounts were new to me, there was a common phrase to describe my mother… everyone confirmed that ‘she bore no ill will’ to anyone, not even to those who wronged her!

She had a fair share of persons who were unfair to her. She had seen hard times and had faced hostility and crooked behavior. When asked how she could respond with goodwill at all times, she would say, ‘I cannot change the way others behave… but I can choose the way I do!’

She would quote the poet-saint Kabir who wrote so well
‘Kabira khada bazar mein, maange sab ki khair
Na kehu se dosti, naa kehu se bair’
(In the market stands Kabir, with goodwill for all;
no favour for anyone nor any ill will)

Goodwill is to wish someone well. And to do so, one has to overcome ill will. It is okay to be hurt, angry or sad due to unacceptable behaviour of others, it is okay to argue or quarrel with them… but it is not okay to wish them ill. When we bear ill will, we lose our humanness. We get consumed by the anger or misery that the ill will throws back.

Goodwill is an intangible asset that adds to our worth. When we wish someone well, we hold onto compassion, kindness and cheerfulness. Goodwill for others makes for a happier person who exudes the joy that comes from freedom from bitterness. Like my mother whose goodwill now lives in the hearts of many!

Never let hurt trigger off ill will
Choose the asset of goodwill!

~ Pravin K Sabnis

No comments: