Monday, February 2, 2009

RAGE CONTROL

An ancient Zen story tells the tale of a young man who easily succumbed to the emotion of anger. The aftermath of his uncontrollable fury would leave him regretting his words, actions and behaviour. He wished to control his unruly rage and went seeking solution from a renowned Zen Master.

On meeting the Master, he complained: "Master, I have an ungovernable temper. How can I cure it?" The Master calmly replied, "You have something very strange. Can I see what you have?" The young man was stunned with the bizarre request. He replied, “But Master, I am not angry, right now… hence I cannot show it to you."

The master persisted, "so when can you show it to me?" The young man responded,
"My anger arises unexpectedly. I cannot say when it might seize me again…” Immediately, the wise man proclaimed, "then surely, it must not be your own true nature. If it were, you could show it to me at any time."


To BE BETTER at overcoming and managing the emotion of anger, we must first accept responsibility and then take control of our thoughts and behaviour. So often we delude ourselves by believing that negative behavioural traits are habits that cannot be overwhelmed. But we need to remind ourselves, that restraining rage is just like controlling any other destructive habit. Like other habits, we have acquired it… and like other habits it can be unlearnt.

It is we who picked up rage as just another regressive habit…
To BE BETTER at being in control, it is we who must drop it!

- Pravin

No comments: