Monday, April 29, 2024

Filter

Once a person told Socrates, ‘Do you know what I have heard about your friend?’ The wise one said, ‘before you proceed, let’s apply the triple filter test: ‘The first filter is Truth; are you sure that what you are about to tell is true?’ ‘Well... actually I have just heard it’, the man admitted.  

Next were filters of Goodness and Usefulness: ‘Is what you are going to tell me about my friend something good?’ ‘Is it going to be useful to me?’ When both the replies were in the negative, Socrates queried, ‘if what you want to tell me is neither true, nor good, nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?’ 

 

So often we are carriers of careless gossip that would never pass through the Filter-Test. We come across scandalous information that we feel compelled to pass on to others and we end up causing irrevocable damage to reputations, relationships and lives. 

 

Every time we talk about somebody or something, it would be better to use the Triple-Filter-Test.  Heed the simplified counsel by Thumper’s parents in the film ‘Bambi’: ‘if you can’t say something nice, don’t say nothing at all!’ 

 

We must use the Triple Filter as a Test 

If not true, good or useful; lay it to rest! 

 

- Pravin K. Sabnis

 

 

#mondaymuse21stYear #pravinsabnis #since2004 #motivation #blogging #MondayMuse

No comments: