Monday, October 10, 2022

Don't Delay

 One Sunday it was snowing heavily and no one turned up for the services at the church. Only a herder of cows reached in the freezing snow. The pastor waited for some more time and eventually said, ‘Let’s cancel as it is only two of us!’

 The herder said, ‘When I go to feed my cows, I whistle out for them to come. Most of the time, all the cows turn up. But sometimes, only one turns up and that time I will make sure that I don’t leave that cow hungry’.

 The pastor realized his mistake and started to deliver the services for close to two hours. He thanked the herder for teaching him a valuable lesson, ‘It’s our duty to finish it, no matter how big or small the need is... Hope you had a good two hours’.

 The herder replied, ‘Well when I go to feed my herd and if only one turns up for the food. I will make sure that I don’t force it to eat all the food I bought for the whole herd’. 

 Two lessons emerge from the story: don’t delay the start and don’t delay the end. The first is about rewarding the ones who come on time. The second is about not making it worse by being long winded and ignoring the needs and wants of those you deal with.

 Too often, so many of us delay the start, waiting for late comers. And instead of brevity, we choose to prolong the misery by force feeding. We must choose to be on time as well as be time conscious, especially about the time of the audience.

 Don’t delay the start, respect the early one

Don’t delay the end, so everyone has fun!

 - Pravin K. Sabnis

No comments: