Monday, November 11, 2019

Be Prepared


Robert Baden-Powell explained the Scouts motto BE PREPARED as being in a state of readiness in mind and body. He urged scouts to be prepared in more ways than one. He insisted that they should acquire various skills: camping, cooking, first-aid, self-defence, mapping, messaging and many others. They ranged from survival training to safety protocols to utility techniques to be used for different challenges.

The motto seeks to pre-empt the need before it’s time. It is about equipping and empowering the mind and body through multiple abilities and capacities that would be required in various situations. Unlike the afterthought or reactive mechanism, this preparedness comes from proactive choices.

So often, so many of us are clueless about even simple life skills. We need to ask the questions: Can I survive in tough situations? Can I find my way when lost in the woods? Can I assist others in difficulties? Can I mend things that need mending? Can I cook? Can I sew? Can I be of help to self and others?

We must learn basic skills even if there seems no instant need. You may someone else cook for you yet you must know how to cook a simple meal. You may have assistants or technology to do certain tasks yet you must know how to do them yourselves. Be prepared is about being equipped before the need arises!  

Be prepared before time… to find key ways
Be of use to self and others on trying days!

~ Pravin K Sabnis

No comments: